Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Easy Meal

Ready-to-cook veggies from Central Market


One of my "new" favorite things is in the produce department at Central Market. They have a selection of ready-to-cook veggies, meats and meals. These options come with sauces and directions, too.


Most of my food shopping budget goes to purchasing fruits and veggies, since I don't eat much meat. I was shocked to see the prices of the washed and cut veggies. I bought a selection of Asian veggies (bok choy, carrots, snow peas, bean sprouts, bell peppers, onions, and celery) for $5.75. I put some brown rice in the rice cooker on the way to teach Spinning. When I came back, I cooked the veggies for about 8 minutes and added a little garlic and soy sauce and a little grated ginger and red pepper flakes for a punch. For about $7 and 10 ten minutes, I have dinner for 3 nights!!! You can't beat it!

Earlier this week, I tried a selection of Italian veggies (green beans, onions, red peppers, yellow squash) and ate it with some couscous for three nights!

Now, I doubt the veggies are organic, but they are fresh, washed, cut and ready to cook. I obviously don't mind eating left overs.  If you keep the veggies in a separate container as your starch and/or meat, you can mix the veggies with Udon noodles or whole grain pasta, too.  You can change it up.

If you have a family to feed, it is still a great deal. Healthy, inexpensive and EASY!!!

In the same produce cases, they offer chicken, seafood and meat that is marinated and ready to cook. There is even cooked pasta in containers for about $3.00.

Remember that the area is in the produce department, not the take-away, prepared foods.

Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment