Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Breakfast Ritual


For the past month, I have been waking up 15 minutes earlier than usual and actually eating breakfast at the kitchen table.  Holy cow!  I don't think I have done this since elementary school.  I have to say that I love it!  I was thinking about doing this for years, but just couldn't seem to do it.

I am not a morning person, so the thought of getting up early to eat at the table or get more sleep was a no-brainer. I was going to choose sleep.

In the past, my usual routine was--walk the dogs, get showered/dressed, make the bed, toast waffles with nut butter and banana/berries (to eat in the car) or McD's Egg McMuffin (also eaten in the car).  I ate breakfast, but was in constant motion from the time my feet hit the floor in the morning.

Now, after I walk the dogs and before I shower, I make breakfast and sit down and eat it (on a placemat--extra points).  I admit, that my breakfast is a quick one.  I make eggs and toast, cereal with berries and almond milk, or whole grain toaster waffles with nut butter and bananas/berries (like a sandwich)---and of course, coffee.  It takes about 7 minutes to make, at most.

I do watch The Today Show during breakfast.  (It counts as news, doesn't it?)  The 8 minutes to eat is short, but just enough to make me feel like I am doing some thing for myself before the work day.  I notice that when I get to work, I am less frazzled and more grounded.

I must say that it starts my day off right.  A few minutes of ME time, in the morning does this body good.

I wish I were a morning person, but I accept the fact that it will always be a struggle to wake earlier than 7:00 a.m.  I hope that one day I will make a habit of waking up even 30 minutes earlier and meditate before breakfast.  One step at a time, though.  Another aspiration to add to the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment