Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lite Workouts


When I workout, I like to workout hard!  Sweat dripping off my body and through my clothes.  I want to push myself as hard as I can go.  I like to "ride my edge," as they say.

Recently, I was reminded by my doctor and an exercise physiologist that it is important plan a few lite workouts during the week.  The idea is that if every workout is a hard workout, you are adding more stress to your body. When your body is stressed, no matter what the cause (work, family, or a workout), your body produces cortisol.  Too much cortisol in your body CAN make you susceptible to illness, decreased libido, decrease in bone density, high blood pressure and increased abdominal fat.

Working out VERY hard puts your body in fight-or-flight mode, just like if you were in a life-or-death situation.  Limit these workout to no more than twice a week. 

If you are under a high level of stress, keep your workouts lite.  Your body does not interpret the hard workout as a stress reliever.  Your body interprets the hard workout as another stressor.

For your lite workouts, get your heart rate up (to where you can hear yourself breathe), but don't push yourself to your edge.  Your body will thank you for it.

If you have questions, find an exercise physiologist or doctor that you can consult with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment