Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Help


The Help is an amazing book written by Kathryn Stockett.  I love this book!

There are so many reasons why.  It is a book about women in Mississippi in the early 1960's.  Specifically, it is about white women and the black women that keep their homes and raise their children. 

I must be honest and say that I did not "read" this book, but listened to the audiobook.  What made the audiobook so special is that each character of the book was read by a different actor.  Therefore, you got to know each character more intimately, because you associate the woman with her voice (rate of speech, inflections, accents, etc.).

Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character.  I love when authors do that.  I get more immersed in the book, because I get to know each character intimately.

The movie is being filmed (or already filmed) and will come out on the big screen in 2011.  The IMDB database lists the cast and a few pictures.  If it is even half as good as the book, I will love it!

If you haven't read the book, I highly suggest it.

1 comment:

  1. Loved it!!!!!! Skeeter and Celia were such great characters. I even liked hateful Miss Hilly! How great is her name? So fitting.

    I'm anxious for the movie. Hope it's good!

    ReplyDelete