Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Meals Without Television?

Doesn't she kinds look like Debra Morgan (Jennifer Carpenter) from the TV show Dexter?  I love that show!

Mindless Eating

When at home, many of us eat in front of the computer or television.  I eat in  front of the television at home and in front of the computer at work.  I've noticed lately that at home, I am not enjoying what I am eating or what I am watching on TV. 

I enjoy picking out and cooking my meals.  I am usually excited at the thought of eating them (and hungry), but notice that I am mindlessly eating them, because I am half-watching garbage on television.  I will eat a meal in front of the television, and eat and eat and then am surprised when my plate is empty.  Why?  Because I have never really even tasted my food.  I was never really paying attention to what I was eating.  I have caught myself going for second helpings, because I don't remember eating the first helping.  Like it was gone too fast and I need to relive the experience (30 seconds after I finished).  Sick!

Today at work, I went looking for the piece of bread that came with my salad and realized that I already ate it.  Double-sick!  I never even enjoyed it.  It just went "down the hatch."

I need a change!!!

A few days ago, I decided to turn off the television programs, unless there is some thing that I really want to watch.  What to do with all the silence?  What do I do when I eat?  Won't it be too quiet?

Guess what I learned....

I have music channels (no, not MTV, VH1, or BET--those aren't music these days anyway) on my television.  The kind where you pick the music genre you like and one song plays into the next.  No commercials, just nice music.  I like it.  Glad it took me 2.5 years to recognize this.  Again, Sick!

I am much more focused at home.  I am a busybody by nature and always have many thoughts rolling around in my head. Multitasking is my way of life.  Now with the television programs gone, I notice that I finish a thought or task before I move on to the next.  I do not suffer from ADD, but I recognize that the television on in the background really did impair my thoughts.  The noise disrupted my thought process.

I also love being at home.  The flowers, the relaxing music, my Shmoopie Doopies (dogs), etc.  I have always loved my home, but now I feel that it really invigorates me, instead of being the Temple of Chores--clean, pick up, cook, laundry, etc.  My home is no longer a responsibility, but my sanctuary.

So, what do I do when I eat?

I sit at my kitchen table and enjoy my view.  I have a lovely and unobstructed view of downtown Houston.  I pay extra money for this view.  I do cherish it every day, but I never really noticed what the view from the kitchen table. 

I still eat fairly quickly, about 10 minutes, but I taste my food.  My brain registers that I am eating.  I am "present" in the moment, which also adds to the pleasure of the meal and recognition that I have eaten.  I don't go back for second helpings.  When my plate is empty, I'm done.  My thighs will thank me later!

What about when I am finished eating?

I do the little housekeeping tasks with the music on.  I don't really miss the television, because it is just noise.  Don't get me wrong, I am not selling it any day soon.  However, I am recording programs that I really enjoy and watching them when I want to and not making the television viewing another daily task on my list.

I admit that I am much more relaxed.  I think the television noise in the background of my life, really overstimulates me.  Those who know me well know that I am high energy by nature and don't need added stimulation in my life.

My next goal is to get rid of eating in front of the computer at work.  I think it will be harder than turning off the television at home.  Sigh!

I really love my new routine and will try really hard to keep it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment