Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Would You Talk to a Child That Way?




Over the years, I have enjoyed reading the advice of Kris Carr of Crazy Sexy Cancer and Crazy Sexy Life. Kris's journey through cancer has been very inspiring to me. No, I am not a cancer survivor, but I think there is so much to learn from Kris, her journey and the "blog posse."

When I was living in Washington, DC, I had the opportunity to watch Kris's documentary called Crazy Sexy Cancer and attend her book tour. I met many people that are cancer survivors or undergoing treatment. I learned great lifestyle advice from them. I was even inspired to make some big changes in my diet. (More on that another time.) I have kept connected with her messages over the years via the websites and continue to learn valuable lessons.

Like most people, I often engage in negative self-talk. I'm not thin enough. I see time marching across my face. My skin is so pale, I could be an extra in the Twilight movies. There is too much wiggle in my walk. I should make more money. I need to read more and turn off the crap on tv. I need to eat less. The house isn't clean enough. etc. etc. etc. Sound familiar?

Kris has started a vlog series (video blog). All off the vlogs are great, but one really hit home. Check it out:



In the event that you don't have 5 minutes to watch, here is the summary:

Would you talk to a child the way you talk to yourself? If you have children, would you talk to your own child the way that you talk to yourself? Would you tell a child that she is fat? Or she isn't smart? Or she can't be what she wants to be? Then, why do you talk to yourself that way?

Consider keeping a photo of yourself as a child on your desk, next to your bed or even on your cell phone and think about yourself as a child when you talk negatively to yourself. (Yes, the photo above is of me.)

Remind yourself that the negative talk is not self-serving. Treat yourself like the child you once were (and the child you may have). A part of us will always be that child, right? Talk to yourself with the compassion and encouragement that you deserve and that you give a child. Self-love, not self-sabotage, right?

Think about it! It makes sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment