Click on the tabs to find information about my business, Shop Your Closet, the Upper Kirby Fitness Schedule, and other helpful resources!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Chalkboard Paint Canisters!

I am one of the many featured on Today's Creative Blog, my favorite do-it-yourself blog!



I share magazines with friends at work.  We each bring magazines that we have recently read and share them with others.  I got a call from a friend yesterday about the magazine that I gave her.  She told me that pages were missing.  I had to laugh.  I forgot about that detail.  I tear out pages that have images that inspire me--a pair of shoes, a product, an outfit, etc. 

Well, in the May issue of InStyle, I saw this and just had to do it myself....



If you can't tell from the image, the picture is of glass canisters that have been painted with chalkboard paint. You can put anything in the canisters and write the labels in chalk. Adorbs!

The InStyle article stated that the canisters were bought at Ikea. I got lucky and the Ikea by my home had the exact canisters! What were the chances? The Ikea "Burken" canisters were about $4 a piece.

Next, I went off to Home Depot and bought the Rust-Oleum chalkboard paint. Like other paints, you choose from a selection of colors to mix with a base. Honestly, the color selection is pretty juvenile, since most customers of this paint are parents that use it for children's projects (tables, walls, etc.). The Peapod color was the best color for me. The paint was about $12 for a quart.

Talk about simple to do! I painted the stripe at the bottom and waited two days for it to completely dry. Then, I took a wet rag and went over the paint once. Next, the chalk! I filled my canisters and wrote the names on the contents on the labels...Brown Rice, Udon Noodles, Almonds, Katz's Sam Houston Blend Coffee





Next, I decided to go crazy and paint terra cotta pots with the chalkboard paint! I bought two $4 cacti and potted them for my kitchen. I chose cacti, because it reminds me of Miraval Resort in Arizona.  Here is what I did...


Up close....



I keep the pots in front of my sink, where I see them througout my day.

I painted a green stripe across the top and a rectangle in the middle for the label. On one pot, I wrote, "A little piece of..." On the other, I wrote, "Miraval." (The Mackenzie-Child's pot and plant in the center are to make it more visually interesting.)

I tried to bring some thing that I love, Miraval, in a place that I see throughout my day. Subliminally, when you recognize a positive image, your energy rises. How great is that? I got a plant, an inspirational message, an energy boost and a reminder that I accomplished the challenge of making the pots.

I loved the challenge of trying this project. I have an almost full container of paint. Therefore, I think friends will be getting canisters and terra cotta pots for presents. How cute is that? I imagine wrapping the chalk in tissue paper and tying it with raffia.

Don't be scared to try this project. A kindergartener could do it! 

Try some thing new!

No comments:

Post a Comment